Kenneth J. Mroczek, M.D.Orthopedic SurgeonFOOT & ANKLE SPECIALIST
Kenneth J. Mroczek, MD is a board certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in ankle and foot disorders. He is an Assistant Professor at the New York University School of Medicine and Director of the NYU Langone Diabetic Foot and Ankle Center. He is the Associate Chief of the Division of Foot and Ankle Surgery at the NYU Langone Department of Orthopedic Surgery which includes the Langone Orthopedic Hospital, formerly known as the Hospital for Joint Diseases. Dr. Mroczek, a recognized expert, has lectured internationally, nationally and locally and is actively involved in teaching residents and medical students.
He is fellowship trained in sports medicine, arthroscopy and foot and ankle surgery. This unique combination of specialized training gives him an exceptional skill set to treat a full range of conditions from fractures, sports related injuries, degenerative arthritis, tendon disorders, deformities and limb threatening complications from diabetes.
Dr. Mroczek has been a consultant to the New York Mets and New York Islanders. He has treated athletes on the professional, collegiate and amateur level. As a physician who is fellowship trained in sports medicine and arthroscopy, he understands the importance of peak performance and his goal is for the athlete to return to their pre-injury level. When appropriate, Dr. Mroczek incorporates arthroscopic or minimally invasive surgery which can limit soft-tissue trauma and decrease recovery time. He is an expert in ankle cartilage, tendon and ligament injuries utilizing cutting edge technology such as stem cells, cartilage transplant and regenerative techniques.
Degenerative conditions such as arthritis and tendon tears can result in deformity, pain and dysfunction that can severely limit activity. Proper treatment of theses conditions can restore a patient’s quality of life. His philosophy is patient center care understanding that each patient is unique. He explains both surgical and non-surgical treatment options and believes in shared decision making with patients. Ankle and foot arthritis, posterior tibial tendon dysfunction and flatfoot deformities are a few of the more common conditions he treats.
The biggest fear of a patient with diabetes is loss of a limb. Dr. Mroczek has extensive treatment for over 20 years in limb salvage and reconstruction, specifically in respect to Charcot Neuroarthropathy. He has treated over 1000 patients with Charcot. As Director of the NYU Langone Diabetic Foot and Ankle Center, his team approach gives the patient the best chance of success when other clinicians may have recommended an amputation. As a recognized expert, he was part of a design team that engineered a plating system specifically to reconstruct complex Charcot deformities.
Dr. Mroczek is active in worldwide disaster relief, humanitarian missions and teaching. He was a member of the surgical team which traveled to Haiti a few days after the earthquake in 2010. His expertise allowed him to focus on limb salvage after devastating crush injuries. He was honored with the Frauenthal Award from The Hospital for Joint Diseases at NYU Langone Medical Center for this work. His missions also included Cuba and Pakistan and will continue to more countries now that the limitations of the Covid pandemic have been lifted. Dr. Mroczek partners with organizations that work with local surgeons in order to not only treat complex conditions, but also teach these skills to the local surgeons so they can continue the techniques after the mission.
He is a fellow of the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery and a member of the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons and American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society.
- Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, New York University School of Medicine
- Associate Chief, Division of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, NYU Langone Heath
- Director, NYU Langone Diabetic Foot and Ankle Center
American Board of Orthopedic Surgery - Orthopedic Surgery, 2003
- Fellowship, Union Memorial Hospital, Foot & Ankle Surgery, 2001
- Fellowship, University of Chicago Medical Center, Sports Medicine, 2000
- Residency, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Orthopedic Surgery, 1999
- MD from SUNY-Downstate CollegeMedicine, 1994
- Department of Orthopedic Surgery, New York University Langone Health
Lower extremity MRI following 10-week supervised exercise intervention in patients with diabetic peripheral neuropathy
Brown, Ryan; Sharafi, Azadeh; Slade, Jill M; Convit, Antonio; Davis, Nathan; Baete, Steven; Milton, Heather; Mroczek, Kenneth J; Kluding, Patricia M; Regatte, Ravinder R; Parasoglou, Prodromos; Rao, Smita
BMJ open diabetes research & care. 2021 Sep ; 9(1):
Danna, Natalie R.; Mroczek, Kenneth J.
Fractures of the Foot and Ankle: A Clinical Casebook. [S.l.] : Springer International Publishing, 2017. p.217-223. (2918732)
Hinds, Richard M; Danna, Natalie R; Capo, John T; Mroczek, Kenneth J
Foot & ankle specialist. 2017 Aug ; 10(4):302-307
Original Reports (Peer-reviewed Journals)
- Parasoglou P, Baete S, Ho A, Brown R, Convit A, Garwood E, Mroczek K, Slade J: “Multinuclear MR imaging in diabetic peripheral neuropathy.” Journal of the Peripheral Nervous System 23():280-280 (#3557752) [Meeting Abstract]
- Hinds RM, Danna NR, Capo JT, Mroczek KJ: “Foot and ankle fellowship websites: An assessment of accessibility and quality.” Foot & Ankle Specialist. 10(4):302-307, 2017
- Pope EJ, Takemoto RC, Kummer FJ, Mroczek KJ:”Midfoot Fusion: A Biomechanical Comparison of Plantar Plating vs. Intramedullary Screws.” Foot and Ankle Int. 34(3):409-413, 2013.
- Weichman K, Berland T, Mackay B, Mroczek K, Adelman M: “Intermittent foot claudication with active dorsiflexion: the seminal case of dorsalis pedis artery entrapment.” Annals of Vascular Surgery 24(1):113.e1-5, 2010
- Rimington T, Mallik K, Evans D, Mroczek K, Reider B: “A prospective study of the nonoperative treatement of degenerative meniscus tears.” Orthopaedics 32(8): 558, 2009
- Schon LC, Short KW, Parks BG, Kleeman TJ, Mroczek K: “Efficacy of a New Pressure-Sensitive Alarm for Clinical Use in Orthopaedics.” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 423:235-239, 2004.
- Reider B, Arcand M, Diehl L, Mroczek K et al: “Proprioception of the Knee Before and After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction.” Arthroscopy 19:2-12, 2003.
- Myerson MS, Mroczek KJ: “Perioperative Complications of Total Ankle Arthroplasty” Foot and Ankle International 24:17-21, 2003.
- Mroczek KJ, Miller SD: “The modified oblique Keller procedure: a technique for dorsal approach interposition arthroplasty sparing the flexor tendons.” Foot and Ankle International 24:521-522, 2003.
- Nucci RC, Seigal S, Merola AA, Gorup J, Mroczek KJ, Dryer J, Zipnick RF, Haher TR: “Computed tomographic evaluation of the normal adult odontoid. Implications for internal fixation.” Spine 20:264-270, 1995.
- Danna NR, Mroczek KJ: “Charcot Arthropathy” In Tejwani NC (ed): Fractures of the Foot and Ankle. A Clinical Casebook. Springer 2017.
- Gould S, Mroczek KJ: “ First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Sprain (Turf Toe):Introduction.” In Reider BC, Davies GJ, Provencher MT (eds): Orthopaedic Rehabilitation of the Athlete. Getting Back in the Game. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia 2015.
- Rao S, Mroczek KJ: “ Nonoperative Rehabilitation of First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Sprain (Turf Toe).” In Reider BC, Davies GJ, Provencher MT (eds): Orthopaedic Rehabilitation of the Athlete. Getting Back in the Game. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia 2015.
- Chan KW, Mroczek KJ: “Arthroscopic Treatment of Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus.” In Reider B, Terry MA, Provencher MT(eds): Operative Techniques: Sports Medicine Surgery. Philadelphia, Sanders 2010.
- Reider B, Mroczek KJ: “Medial Collateral Ligament Injury Rehabilitation” In Brotzman SB (ed): Clinical Orthopaedic Rehabilitation. St. Louis, Mosby 2003.
- Reider B, Mroczek KJ, D’Agata S: “Factors Predisposing to Knee Injuries.” In DeLee JC, Drez D, Miller MD (eds): Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, 2nd edition. Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders, 2002:1652-1668.
- Schon LC, Mroczek KJ, Stroud CC: “Physiatric Management of Sports-Related Foot and Ankle Injury” In Kim DDJ, Wainapel S (eds): Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: State of the Art Reviews. Philadelphia, Hanley & Belfus, 2001:15:587-601.
- Weatherall JM, Mroczek KJ, McLaurin T, Ding B, Tejwani N: “Post-traumatic ankle arthritis” Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases 71(1):104-12, 2013.
- Ding BC, Weatherall JM, Mroczek KJ, Sheskier SC: “Fractures of the proximal fifth metatarsal:keeping up with the Joneses.” Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases 70(1):49-55, 2012.
- Park JS, Mroczek KJ: “Total ankle arthroplasy.” Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases 69(1):27-35, 2011.
- Chan KW, Ding BC, Mroczek KJ: “Acute and chronic lateral ankle instability in the athlete.” Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases 69(1):17-26, 2011.
- Weatherall JM, Mroczek K, Tejwani N: “Acute Achilles Tendon Injuries.” Orthopaedics 33(10):758-64, 2010.
- Joseph TN, Mroczek KJ: “Decision making in the treatment of hallux valgus.” Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases 65(1):19-23, 2007.
- Trovato D, Mroczek KJ, Splain S: “The Painful Shoulder” Emergency Medicine 30:78-100, 1998.
- Mroczek KJ, Monsanto EH: “Carpal Instability” Current Opinion in Orthopedics 8;IV:44-52, 1997.
- Mroczek KJ: Review of “Levin and O’Neal’s The Diabetic Foot” JAMA 299:2448-9, 2008
- Hinds RM, Danna NR, Capo JT, Mroczek KJ. “Foot and Ankle Fellowship Websites: An Assessment of Accessibility and Quality.”. Poster presented at the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Annual Meeting on July 20-23, 2016 in Toronto, Ontario.
- RaoS, Schmidt AM, Kirsch T, Mroczek K: “RAGE and Foot Function in Diabetic Foot Disease.” Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons on March 12-14, 2014 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Gutierrez GM, Mroczek K, Chapman C, Sheskier S: “Proprioception after ankle instability surgery – A pilot study.” Poster presented at the 5th International Ankle Symposium on October 17-20, 2012 in Lexington, Kentucky.
- Rao S, Park JH, Chapman C, Weatherall J, Ciavarra G, Sheskier S, Mroczek K: “Intra-Rater Reliability of Grading Scales Used in 1st Metatarsophalangeal Joint Osteoarthritis.” Poster presented at Osteoarthritis Research Society International’s Annual Meeting on September 15-18, 2011 in San Diego, California.
- Park JH, Mroczek K, Chapman C, Sheskier S, Ciavarra G, Weatherall J, Rao S: “Reliability of Radiographic Grades Used to Assess 1st Metatarsophalangeal Joint Osteoarthritis’” Poster presented at American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society on July 13-16, 2011 in Keystone, Colorado.
- Moore SL, Mroczek K, Schweitzer ME : “Imaging Appearances of Salvage Procedures for Neuropathic Foot Deformities” Education Exhibit at the Radiological Society of North America, November 27-December 2, 2005.
- Wang X, Mechlin B, Rosenberg ZS, Schweitzer ME, Mroczek KJ: “MRI Features of the Peroneal Tendons and Superior Peroneal Retinaculum” Education Exhibit at the Radiological Society of North America, November 30-December 5, 2003.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Health Smart
- Island Group Administration
- Local 1199
- MVP Select Care Inc
- NYSHIP - The Empire Plan
- POMCO Insurance Company
- Partners Health Plan Inc
- Qualcare Inc.
- Railroad Medicare
- United Healthcare
NYU Langone Joan H. and Preston Robert Tisch Center at Essex Crossing
171 Delancey Street
New York, NY 10002
NYU Langone Madison Avenue Orthopedics
145 East 32nd Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10016